The (Indoors Only!)Backyard Birds Cuckoo Clock
Truly a hands-across-the-water collaboration, the Backyard Birds Cuckoo Clock marries German technology with an American artists’s hand-carved birds. The clock itself — everything but the birds — is made by the Anton Schneider Company, of Schonach, Germany. Schneider is known for their excellent craftsmanship and trouble-free clocks. Made as they have been for nearly two centuries, with some clock parts made in cottage industries, the clock has a Regula movement that powers the bellows, the cuckoo, and the animated birds. I designed the clock to look like a bird feeder. The suet feeder on the right and the hopper feeder on the left are handmade. Schneider ships the entire clock in running order here to Georgia for the final touch. The birds — Goldfinch, Red-Bellied Woodpecker, Cardinal, and Blue Bird — are hand made by Bob Goad of Oklahoma. Bob has won many national and world championships for his carved birds. His commercial work includes a Canada goose decanter for Jim Beam, and huge carved whale billboard for Sea World. I’m honored to be working with Bob and to have his amazing birds grace my clock! As is the case with every cuckoo clock, the cuckoo emerges to sing on the hour and half hour. The extra charm of an animated cuckoo clock is that the cuckoo sets off even more magic. In this case, the Blue Bird feeds the “baby”, and the Cardinal “pecks” for seed. Yes, moving birds! This is my long-awaited second design and illustrates where I’m going with my business: creating cuckoo clocks with an American aesthetic.
Details About Jodie’s Backyard Birds Cuckoo Clock
- Authentic Black Forest Cuckoo Clock made by the oldest manufacturer in Germany
- Hand carved Cardinal, Goldfinch, Blue Bird and Red-Bellied Woodpecker made in America**
- The birds are hand carved by champion bird carver Bob Goad of Oklahoma
- Movement: On the hour and half hour the cuckoo pops out of his door and sings, the Blue Bird feeds the cuckoo, and the Cardinal pecks
- Cuckoo can be silenced manually
- Instructions for setting up and caring for the clock are included
- Two year warranty
- Measures 10″ W x 9.5″ T x 6.25″ D minus pendulum and weights
- Brass 1-day Regula movement*
- Pine cone cast weights
- 100% Smiles (a.k.a. Satisfaction) Guarantee
- VDS Certificate of Authenticity from the Black Forest Association of cuckoo clock makers
- Designed by Jodie Davis in Hickory Flat, Georgia
- Only available in North America. You won’t find this clock in Germany.
*Movement requires winding twice each day. 8-day movement is available for $150 additional. See tab. **Please note that each bird is individually hand carved. Therefore, the birds can vary from those you see in the photo. It’s called the mark of the hand!